Friday, October 24, 2008

Eight Summers in Addis Ababa OR Do Unto Others, Then Run

Thanks to Tom #2 for the first title.

Now it's 13 titles, Steph!

4 comments:

Logan said...

Slackers.

Also, I hope there isn't really a place called Addis Ababa, or that if there is, it at least has a beach.

1999, June 32, Addis Ababa
Summer is the best time of the year. The beach here is great, and the girls... hell, even the boys. I'm sunburnt and I don't give a damn. This is the best time of my life.

2000, July 4, Addis Ababa
I love this place. I said I wasn't going to come back this year - the Bahamas are looking really great, and I can't spend my life just in the one place all the time, but - every time I go to book the flight, I end up back here and everything's just the way I remember it.

2001, June 30, Addis Ababa
This year, I told myself, I'd go to Florida. I could use a change, and my bank account could use a rest. What's so bad about Florida? As you can see, I didn't make it there - the call of this place has me coming back year after year and maybe this time I'll work up the nerve to ask that drop-dead gorgeous waitress at the cocktail bar.

2002, July 20, Addis Ababa
I feel like I'm an old hand around here now. Each year the faces change but still, so many stay the same. The waitress at the cocktail bar, the lifeguard at the beach. The guy preaching on the corner, but this year the DJ's gone - away to Holland!

2003, July 23, Addis Ababa
When I first came here it all seemed so bright, so new. Even the lifeguard's gone now, and the new wave of kids are so young! I swear I saw a kid no more than twelve, he was drinking at a beach party while the DJ spun and the more I see this place the more it makes me sad because it's never going to be as good as that Summer long gone.

2004, July 1, Addis Ababa
I wasn't going to come back this year - I know I say that all the time but this time I meant it, I swear. Still, here I am, and I'm glad I came none the less. It's not as bad as I remember it - sure, it's overrun with kids and creeps but the beach is still here, and the parties, and the drop-dead gorgeous cocktail waitress. Still, it's a pretty good year, and a great Summer.

2005, August 1, Addis Ababa
Worst Summer ever. Never coming back.

2049, September 4, Addis Ababa
I know I said I'd never come back, but I had to, one last time. Summer's gone. The beach is here, but it's colder than I remember. It's the only thing that hasn't changed. This place has moved on, and so should I but - I still see her, her brown skin shining in the sun.

Logan said...

This was it. Sandra had to tell herself to stop holding her breath, every five minutes. Breathe, she told herself. Just breathe. She had never been this nervous in her life, not even when she was sneaking into Mr. Wyatt's office with her best friend Lucy so they could cover his chair in superglue.

This was far, far beyond that. There was no going back from this. Technically speaking, there was no going back from the epic superglue incident either - she had it on good authority from her younger cousin that there was still a piece of Mr. Wyatt's trousers stuck to that chair to this day - but this is something that would change the rest of her life.

She looked in the mirror, making sure her nerves didn't show. They didn't, of course. She might as well have been made of stone. The costume covered her completely - she might as well have been a different person. Nobody would have recognised her, especially not with the veil.

There was a knock on the door. She didn't need Lucy's voice telling her, "it's time." She let her breath out, reminded herself to breathe again, and opened the door.

"You look gorgeous," Lucy said, and unlike all the other compliments she'd had that day Lucy couldn't hide anything from her. She relaxed a little. Lucy meant it. Lucy took her arm, and led her to the door of the church.

The next few moments passed as if in a dream. The walk to the church, Lucy relinquishing her arm to her father, the walk up the aisle. She was glad for the veil; nobody could tell she was too scared to look at the altar. He was there. Her... well, everything. This was it. Everything.

She looked up only as she stepped up beside her groom. Adam was close enough to see her, vaguely, beneath the veil. He winked, and gave her that mischievous grin she'd come to love so much.

"Surprise egging!" He yelled, and pulled back her veil just as the groomsmen, and several of his friends from the audience, let a barrage of eggs fly - covering the altar, the bride, the bridesmaids, and the extremely surprised priest in a shower of goo.

Sandra didn't move. She couldn't even breathe.

The rest of the church was a mirror of the bride - shocked into silence. Even the groom seemed to realise something was wrong. "Boot it!" came a yell from the audience, and Adam leapt from the dais and out the front door.

Kastie said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Addis_Ababa

I'm sure one of those big lakes there has a beach. :)

Logan said...

...It's landlocked. Heh, figures. I was typing it out at work, and had no access to the internet.